Tuesday, May 28, 2013

DIY T-Shirt Revamp with Lace


For the last couple of weeks I've been showing you some t-shirt revamps that I've been doing to help diminish my ill-fitting t-shirt pile in my closet. One of my all time favorite t-shirts is one that I got from a Swell Season concert several years back. It is a light, breezy t-shirt that has shrunk after too many washes. When I saw this tank top with lace on the side...I knew what I had to do!

I found some white lace from a used craft materials store but didn't really like the high contrast between the off white t-shirt and the bright white lace so...I dyed it!


I made up a giant pot of coffee, brought it to a boil and then put my lace panels in for about two hours. I rinsed it out until the water ran clear and let it dry overnight. I'm really happy with the color that it turned and am hoping it doesn't fade too much over time.

I stitched in the lace triangles today and voilĂ !


16 comments:

  1. I would love to do this with some of my old "geek" shirts! Thank for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. You are most welcome. Please share if you make one of your own!

      Delete
  3. I have made several of these but always have trouble at the top of the triangle...any hints

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question! If you are having trouble with puckering, I would suggest using your sewing machine as far as you can and then add a few stitches in by hand to close it up all the way. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  4. This is what I was trying to look up how to do. How did you cut the shirt? Did you just cut out the seam? I want to do the same, but with black lace or even a bandana.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you ever done this with sleeves that are to tight?







    ReplyDelete
  6. I realize it has been quite a few years since you posted this idea. Were you aware that a website in the UK is either selling the tutorial or the completed shirt(can't really tell) using your photo? You may want to take a look.
    http://www.toca-tour.co.uk/diy-tshirt-revamp-lace-quick-tip-small-revamp-lace-fabric-p-198.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up! I was not aware of this and have contacted them to remove my image. Thanks!

      Delete
  7. This is a godet ...
    I was hoping this tutorial was about the shirt shown on the cover page to demonstrate how to measure & extend the armhole to add lace ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not cut the armhole at all for this tutorial. Sorry!

      Delete
  8. I just bought a super cute Halloween t-shirt that is too tight at the bottom (because I figured I could find instructions online to fix it). Thanks for providing by far the best instructions for this type of transformation. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Could I do this entirely by hand? I don’t have a sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think so! Let me know how it goes if you try!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also would like to see a tutorial on how you cut the shirt.

    ReplyDelete