Friday, May 30, 2014

May Focus: Food (Round 1)




My hubby and I decided to get a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) box this year from a local farm. We got our first one earlier in May so I thought that a month of food related materials would be a good idea.

I had been wanting to do this for a while now but I've found I have the habit of steering clear from material that I think could possibly induce a life change. And food is one of those topics. It is much easier to not put the time and energy into eating well. Once you learn something, it is difficult to unlearn.

That being said, I am very glad that I decided to focus on this for May. I only read/watched four things but I am astounded at all the new information I learned. Before this month, I would have said that I know a fair amount about the food industry and healthy eating. But all month long I just kept learning so much more. It is surprising how complicated eating has gotten.

Pairing this topic with receiving our CSA box has been awesome.  Receiving a box of produce from a local farm made it feel like I wasn't reading and watching these materials to inspire change in my life but rather that I was already changing and this material was there to support me. It removed the guilt that is often associated with some of these books.

Here is the run down of what I read and watched:

Read: The Way We Eat: Why Our Food Choices Matter
Watched: Food, Inc
Watched: Pressure Cooker
Read: In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto

I didn't read nearly as much as I wanted to. I've read six other nonfood related books this month (library due dates can be so pushy) so I haven't been able to read/watch as many food related materials as I've wanted to. Plus it takes me a while to process some of these heavier materials.

All that to say...I'm extending my food related month into June, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment