Wednesday, December 26, 2012

25 Good Books Every Woman Should Read



Ever since I made my ideal bookshelf on Day 351, I've been thinking a lot about what books I've read and how they have influenced me. Each of these books listed below have influenced my viewpoint on being a woman and what that means. As a recently turned 26 year old, I've been reflecting on the numerous strong, intelligent, and funny female characters and personalities that I've grown up admiring. I thought I'd pay homage to them in this post.

Listed in the general order that I first read them:

1. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
2. Their Eyes Were Watching God  by Zora Neale Hurston
3. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
4. The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers
5. Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
6. Alice in Wonderland
7. Mrs. Dalloway
8. A Girl Named Zippy
9. The Awakening
10. Jane Eyre 
11. Housekeeping
12.  Traveling Mercies
13. Autobiography of a Face
14. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
15. Room
16. Bossypants
17. The Patron Saint of Liars
18. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
19. Villette
20. Little Women
21.The Dance of the Dissident Daughter
22.  House on Mango Street
23. The Bell Jar
24.  How To Be A Woman
25. Wild

For the year 2013 I'm thinking about doing a challenge of only reading female writers. I think this could be very interesting and help push me along in my journey of becoming the woman that I want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment