Wednesday, January 9, 2013

2013 Reading Challenge

Some of you may know that I am a sucker for reading. I almost always have a book in my hands, next to me, or on my mind. I'm focusing on women authors and/or strong, complex female characters this year.



Here is my not-set-in-stone list of books I want to read this year. 

1. Margaret Atwood--The Blind Assassin
2. Margaret Atwood--The Handmaid's Tale
3. Jane Austen--Mansfield Park
4. Jane Austen --Northanger Abbey
5. Lynda Barry--What it Is
6. Samantha Bee--I Know I Am, But What Are You?
7. Elizabeth Bowen--The Death of the Heart
8. Kate Braestrup--Beginner's Grace
9. Willa Cather--Death Comes for the Archbishop
10. Kate Chopin--The Awakening (reread)
11. Kathleen Davis--The Thin Place (reread)
12. Debra Dean--The Mirrored World
13. Simone de Beauvoir--The Second Sex
14. Emily Dickinson--The Collected Poems of Emily Dickinson
15. Annie Dillard--Pilgrim at Tinker Creek
16. Rachel Dratch--Girl Walks into a Bar
17. Louise Erdrich--Love Medicine
18. Helen Fielding--Bridget Jones' Diary
19. Fannie Flagg--Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop
20. Catherine Gildiner--Too Close to the Falls
21. Susan Jane Gilman--Hypocrite in a Pouffy White Dress
22. Mary Gordon--Spending
23. Frances Hodgson Burnett--The Secret Garden
24. Frances Hodgson Burnett--A Little Princess
25. River Jordan--Praying for Strangers
26. Barbara Kingsolver--The Bean Trees (reread)
27. Anne Lamott--Bird by Bird
28. Jhumpa Lahiri--The Namesake (reread)
29. John MacArthur--Twelve Extraordinary Women
30. Carson McCullers--The Heart is a Lonely Hunter (reread)
31. Margaret Mitchell--Gone with the Wind
32. Liz Murray--Breaking Night
33. Irene Nemirovsky--Suite Francaise
34. Kathleen Norris--The Cloister Walk
35. Flannery O'Connor--Mystery and Manners
36. Flannery O'Connor--Three (reread)
37. Ann Patchett--The Patron Saint of Liars (reread)
38. Ann Patchett--Truth & Beauty
39. Dorothy Parker--Complete Stories
40. Sylvia Plath--The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath
41. Adrienne Rich--The Dream of a Common Language: Poems 1974-1977
42. Marilynn Robinson--Housekeeping (reread)
43. Marjane Satrapi--Persepolis
44. Amy Sedaris--I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence
45. Lucy Shaw--Breath for the Bones
46. Alice Walker--The Color Purple
47. Sheila Weller--Girls Like Us: Carole King, Joni Mitchell, Carly Simon
48. Edith Wharton--The Age of Innocence
49. Mary Wollstonecraft-- A Vindication of the Rights of Woman
50. Virginia Woolf--A Room of One's Own
51. Virginia Woolf--Night and Day

Let me know if you have any suggestions of books I should definitely add to my list!

No comments:

Post a Comment