Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Vegetable Stuffed Green Peppers

I've shared with you my recent health woes and now I will share with you one of my new healthy recipes! This recipe is based off of one I found in my new low cholesterol cookbook.


 You need:

2 green bell peppers
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup onion, chopped
6 ounces frozen corn, thawed
2 cups canned no-salt-added tomatoes, drained
6 ounces black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 cup bread crumbs (I just used a slice of toast)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut out the inner center of bell peppers and discard the tops & seeds. Heat enough water in a saucepan to cover the peppers and boil for 4 minutes. Drain. In a large skillet, heat olive oil and cook onion until soft, but not brown. Stir in corn, tomatoes, beans, garlic powder, basil. Mix well. Place peppers in a 8x8 pan and fill peppers with veggie mixture. Sprinkle bread crumbs on top.


My hubby has been working like crazy to wrap up this trimester of grad school so I made dinner and met him for a picnic! Stuffed green peppers is not the most picnic friendly meal but it was still fun..and tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment