Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Day 4: Sewing

Time: One hour
Listening to: Patty Griffin

I've been sewing for about four years now--ever since I got my first sewing machine during a white elephant gift exchange. The woman who brought the machine had a massive collection of old sewing machines! She thought I might like one so she told me to pick the massive present under the tree...and inside was a old Singer!

I knew absolutely nothing about sewing machines and the manual that came with my machine was in another language, I swear. A friend of mine came over and showed me the basics like what the bobbin is, how to thread the machine, how to do a simple straight stitch, etc. It was ever so helpful. Since then I've tried my hand at many different projects. I go for the teach-yourself-method (also known as trial-and-error method) so some have been successful and some not so successful!

My project for this evening came from one of the first pieces of clothing I attempted to make. I figured a dress wasn't too bad, so I gave it a whirl. And it really pretty much stunk! The armholes were a hot mess and I was always afraid something was going to unravel whenever I wore it.When I tried it on again, it was super unflattering with some places too loose and some places being too tight--so I cut it in half!!

My first dress (originally in one piece)

 I then took the bottom pieces, did some editing, added some elastic and made a skirt! Here is a picture of the finished project. I know...it looks similar to the picture above...

The finished project!


I also had some time leftover in my hour so I made one of these Swiffer covers inspired by this picture. We have a lot of hardwood floors in our apartment so I think this will be super handy! It is made out of black fleece and is only three pieces to sew together! Time to save money and the environment, right?! 



No comments:

Post a Comment