Sunday, January 8, 2012

Day 6: Rug Making

Time: 1 hourish
Listening to: Mariokart Wii

A couple years ago I signed up for a rug making class at Hobby Lobby. Along with the how-to we also got to take home our own loom. I've made about six rugs, I think. I haven't made one for a while but got the itch to make one again!

It is a pretty long process. It begins with cutting two inch strips of fabric. The best way to keep the cost down is to use old bedsheets. It takes about two sheets to make one rug. The best tool you can own during this part of the process is a rotary cutter and a cutting mat. They are ahhh-mazing.
My piles of 2-inch strips!

First you add the vertical lines in as the base of your rug. After that is secure you begin the weaving process by adding in the horizontal pieces. Here is a look at what I have done so far.


Only hours and hours more to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment